Guidelines: 5. Provide Appropriate Information
- Parents need accurate up-to-date information: during pregnancy and for surviving babies
- Being informed gives parents a better sense of empowerment and control
- Work in partnership with parents and make joint decisions
- Parents may not retain all the information especially where they are traumatised
- Written information and/or encouraging parents to make their own notes may help
- Many parents find diaries, journals or 'scrap books' help them remember what happened
It’s important to know what they do, as it makes a difference as to how I explain things.
Parents will get upset if you knew something but didn’t divulge to them.